Re: Simplify documentation related to Windows builds

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Simplify documentation related to Windows builds
Date: 2024-01-30 08:01:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 06:11:40AM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> FYI Strawberry was a bit stuck for a while at 5.32, but they are now up to
> 5.38. See <https://strawberryperl.com/releases.html>
>
> I agree we shouldn't be recommending any particular perl distro, especially
> not ASPerl which now has annoying license issues.

The more I think about this thread, the more I'd tend to wipe out most
of "windows-requirements" for the sole reason that it is the far-west
regarding the various ways it is possible to get the dependencies we
need for the build and at runtime. We could keep it minimal with the
set of requirements we are listing under meson in terms of versions:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/install-requirements.html

Then we could have one sentence recommending one, at most two
facilities used the buildfarm, like https://www.msys2.org/ or
chocolatey as these group basically all the dependencies we need for a
meson build (right?) while linking back to the meson page about the
version requirements.

One issue I have with the meson page listing the requirements is that
we don't directly mention Diff, but that's critical for the tests.

Thoughts?
--
Michael