Re: Track in pg_replication_slots the reason why slots conflict?

From: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Track in pg_replication_slots the reason why slots conflict?
Date: 2024-01-02 14:07:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 02, 2024 at 10:35:59AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2024 at 5:24 PM shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Please ignore the previous patch and PFA new v4 (v4_2). The only
> > change from the earlier v4 is the subject correction in commit msg.

Thanks for the patch!

> The patch looks good to me. I have slightly changed one of the
> descriptions in the docs and also modified the commit message a bit. I
> will push this after two days unless there are any more
> comments/suggestions.

The patch LGTM, I just have a Nit comment:

+ <literal>wal_level_insufficient</literal> means that the
+ <xref linkend="guc-wal-level"/> is insufficient on the primary
+ server.

I'd prefer "primary_wal_level" instead of "wal_level_insufficient". I think it's
better to directly mention it is linked to the primary (without the need to refer
to the documentation) and that the fact that it is "insufficient" is more or less
implicit.

Basically I think that with "primary_wal_level" one would need to refer to the doc
less frequently than with "wal_level_insufficient".

But again, that's a Nit so feel free to ignore.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team