Re: [HACKERS] psql casts aspersions on server reliability

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] psql casts aspersions on server reliability
Date: 2023-11-24 15:19:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 04:06:22AM +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Thu, 2023-11-23 at 11:12 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 10:25:14PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Yes, you are correct. Here is a patch that implements the FATAL test,
> > > though I am not sure I have the logic correct or backwards, and I don't
> > > know how to test this. Thanks.
> >
> > I developed the attached patch which seems to work better. In testing
> > kill -3 on a backend or calling elog(FATAL) in the server for a
> > session, libpq's 'res' is NULL, meaning we don't have any status to
> > check for PGRES_FATAL_ERROR. It is very possible that libpq just isn't
> > stuctured to have the PGRES_FATAL_ERROR at the point where we issue this
> > message, and this is not worth improving.
> >
> > test=> select pg_sleep(100);
> > --> FATAL: FATAL called
> >
> > server closed the connection unexpectedly
> > --> This probably means the server terminated null
> > before or while processing the request.
> > The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.
>
> I don't thing "terminated null" is a meaningful message.

Yes, this is just a debug build so we can see the values of 'res'.
Sorry for the confusion. This attached patch has the elog() added so
you can reproduce what I saw.

I am actually unclear which exits should be labled as "abnormal".

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
exit.diff text/x-diff 4.9 KB