Re: meson documentation build open issues

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: meson documentation build open issues
Date: 2023-11-03 14:26:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Peter Eisentraut
> > "meson compile" doesn't seem to build the docs by default ( see <https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=crake&dt=2023-04-06%2018%3A17%3A04&stg=build>),
> > and I'd rather it didn't, building the docs is a separate and optional
> > step for the buildfarm.
>
> You can control this with the "docs" option for meson, as of recently.

I've been looking into switching the Debian PG 17 build to meson, but
I'm running into several problems.

* The docs are still not built by default, and -Ddocs=enabled doesn't
change that

* None of the "build docs" targets are documented in install-meson.html

* "ninja -C build alldocs" works, but it's impossible to see what
flavors it's actually building. Everything is autodetected, and
perhaps I would like to no build the .txt/something variants,
but I have no idea what switch that is, or what package I have to
uninstall so it's not autodetected (only html and pdf are
documented.)

Are there any other targets for the individual formats? (I could
probably use one for the manpages only, without the html.)

Non-doc issues:

* LLVM is off by default (ok), when I enable it with -Dllvm=auto, it
gets detected, but no .bc files are built, nor installed

* selinux is not autodetected. It needs -Dselinux=auto, but that's not
documented in install-meson.html

* There is no split between libdir and pkglibdir. We had used that in
the past for libpq -> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu and PG stuff ->
/usr/lib/postgresql/17/lib.

Christoph