Re: "box" type description

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "box" type description
Date: 2023-11-01 15:36:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 01:43:47PM +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Kyotaro Horiguchi
> > Returing to the description of pg_types, it should be changed like
> > this following the discussion here.
> >
> > - pg_catalog | box | geometric box '(lower left,upper right)'
> > + pg_catalog | box | geometric box 'lower left,upper right'
> >
> > But I find it hard to read. I fixed it instead as the following in the
> > attached. However, it might rather be better not changing it..
> >
> > + pg_catalog | box | geometric box 'pt-lower-left,pt-upper-right'
>
> I like that because it points to the "point" syntax so users can
> figure out how to spell a box.

I liked Horiguchi-san's patch from 2021, but once I started looking
further, I found a number of improvements that can be made in the \dTS
output beyond Horiguchi-san's changes:

* boolean outputs 't'/'f', not 'true'/'false'
* Added "format" ... for output
* tid output format was at the start, not the end
* I didn't add space between point x,y because the output has no space
* I spelled out "point" instead of "pt"
* "line" has two very different input formats so I listed both
(more different than others like boolean)
* I didn't see the need to say "datatype" for LSN and UUID
* I improved the txid_snapshot description
* There was no description for table_am_handler

Patch attached.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
box.diff text/x-diff 7.9 KB