Re: [PoC/RFC] Multiple passwords, interval expirations

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Brindle, Joshua" <joshuqbr(at)amazon(dot)com>, Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [PoC/RFC] Multiple passwords, interval expirations
Date: 2023-10-06 20:46:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 01:20:03PM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> The basic problem, as I see it, is: how do we keep users from
> accidentally dropping the wrong password? Generated unique names or

I thought we could auto-remove old password if the valid-until date is
in the past. You would need a separate ALTER command to sets its date
in the past without that. Also, defining a new password could require
setting the expiration date of the old password to make future additions
easier.

For pg_authid, I was thinking of columns:

ADD rolpassword_old
ADD rolvaliduntil_old
EXISTS rolpassword
EXISTS rolvaliduntil

I did blog about the password rotation problem and suggested
certificates:

https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2020.html#July_17_2020

EDB https://enterprisedb.com