Re: Avoid a possible out-of-bounds access (src/backend/optimizer/util/relnode.c)

From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>
To: Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoid a possible out-of-bounds access (src/backend/optimizer/util/relnode.c)
Date: 2023-09-27 14:07:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 2023-09-27 10:37:45 -0300, ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> Forgive my impulsiveness, anyone who loves perfect, well written code,
> would understand.

I actually find this characterisation offensive.

Being scrupulous about not grouping random drive-by changes together
with the primary change is right up there in importance with writing
good commit messages to help future readers to reduce their WTFs/minute
score one, five, seven, or ten years later.

Ignoring that concern once is thoughtless. Ignoring it over and over
again is disrespectful. Casually deriding it by equating it to hating
"perfect, well-written code" is gross.

-- Abhijit