Re: Would it be possible to backpatch Close support in libpq (28b5726) to PG16?

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Would it be possible to backpatch Close support in libpq (28b5726) to PG16?
Date: 2023-08-15 22:36:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 12:14:21AM +0200, Jelte Fennema wrote:
> 28b5726 allows sending Close messages from libpq, as opposed to
> sending DEALLOCATE queries to deallocate prepared statements. Without
> support for Close messages, libpq based clients won't be able to
> deallocate prepared statements on PgBouncer, because PgBouncer does
> not parse SQL queries and only looks at protocol level messages (i.e.
> Close messages for deallocation).

The RMT has the final word on anything related to the release, but we
are discussing about adding something new to a branch that has gone
through two beta cycles with a GA targetted around the end of
September ~ beginning of October based on the trends of the recent
years. That's out of the picture, IMO. This comes once every year.

> Personally I think backpatching 28b5726 has a really low risk of
> breaking anything.

I agree about the low-risk argument, though. This is just new code.
--
Michael