Re: BUG #18034: Accept the spelling "+infinity" in datetime input is not accurate

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: msdnchina(at)163(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18034: Accept the spelling "+infinity" in datetime input is not accurate
Date: 2023-08-10 02:39:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 03:25:11PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference: 18034
> Logged by: yanliang lei
> Email address: msdnchina(at)163(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 16beta2
> Operating system: RHEL7.9
>
> in the https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html, there is a new
> feature :Accept the spelling "+infinity" in datetime input。
> Actually,"in datetime input " is not accurate.
> Actually, in the PostgreSQL 16 beta2 edition, the spelling "+infinity" can
> be used in the following three datatypes:
> 1.timestamp [ (p) ] [ without time zone ]
> 2.timestamp [ (p) ] with time zone
> 3.date
>
> and the spelling "+infinity" can not be used in the following two
> datatypes:
> 1.time [ (p) ] [ without time zone ]
> 2.time [ (p) ] with time zone
>
> so ,I think that the follow descirtion is accurate:
> Accept the spelling "+infinity" in the following data types:
> timestamp [ (p) ] [ without time zone ] 、
> timestamp [ (p) ] with time zone、
> date datatypes。

We call our timestamp type datetime in some cases, e.g.:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/runtime-config-client.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CLIENT-FORMAT

timezone_abbreviations (string)

Sets the collection of time zone abbreviations that will be accepted
by the server for datetime input.

I see it in a few other places. Should we rename it other places too?
I thought datetime was just a short-hand for our date-time types.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com