Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Date: 2023-08-09 21:45:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jul 23, 2023 at 08:19:55PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 04, 2023 at 05:32:07PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 4, 2023 at 03:31:05PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> >> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 04:49:47PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> Sawada-san has mentioned on twitter that fdd8937 is not mentioned in
> >> the release notes, and it seems to me that he is right. This is
> >> described as a bug in the commit log, but it did not get backpatched
> >> because of the lack of complaints. Also, because we've removed
> >> support for anything older than Windows 10 in PG16, this change very
> >> easy to do.
> >
> > I did review this and wasn't sure exactly what I would describe. It is
> > saying huge pages will now work on some versions of Windows 10 but
> > didn't before?
>
> Windows 10 has always used a forced automated rolling upgrade process,
> so there are not many versions older than 1703, I suppose. I don't
> know if large pages were working before 1703 where
> FILE_MAP_LARGE_PAGES has been introduced, and I have never been able
> to test that. Honestly, I don't think that we need to be picky about
> the version mentioned, as per the forced upgrade process done by
> Microsoft.
>
> So, my preference would be to keep it simple and add an item like "Fix
> huge pages on Windows 10 and newer versions", with as potential
> subnote "The backend sets a flag named FILE_MAP_LARGE_PAGES to allow
> huge pages", though this is not really mandatory to go down to this
> level of internals, either.

That is very helpful. I added this to the release notes Server
Configuration section:

<!--
Author: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
2022-09-17 [fdd8937c0] Fix huge_pages on Windows
-->

<listitem>
<para>
Allow huge pages to work on newer versions of Windows 10 (Thomas Munro)
</para>

<para>
This adds the special handling required to enable huge pages on newer
versions of Windows 10.
</para>
</listitem>

EDB https://enterprisedb.com