Re: Autogenerate some wait events code and documentation

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Autogenerate some wait events code and documentation
Date: 2023-07-10 22:52:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 09:11:36AM +0200, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I don't like this bit, because it means the .txt file is now ungreppable
> as source of the enum name. Things become mysterious and people have to
> track down the event name by reading the the Perl generating script.
> It's annoying. I'd rather have the extra column, even if it means a
> little duplicity.

Hmm. I can see your point that we'd lose the direct relationship
between the enum and string when running a single `git grep` from the
tree, still attempting to do that does not actually lead to much
information gained? Personally, I usually grep for code when looking
for consistent information across various paths in the tree. Wait
events are very different: each enum is used in a single place in the
tree making their grep search the equivalent of looking at
wait_event_names.txt anyway?

The quotes in the second columns can be removed even with your
argument in place. That improves a bit the format.
--
Michael