Re: Support to define custom wait events for extensions

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Masahiro Ikeda <ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support to define custom wait events for extensions
Date: 2023-07-12 08:46:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 12, 2023 at 04:52:38PM +0900, Masahiro Ikeda wrote:
> In my understanding, the first column of the row for WaitEventExtension in
> wait_event_names.txt can be any value and the above code should not die.
> But if I use the following input, it falls on the last line.
>
> # wait_event_names.txt
> Section: ClassName - WaitEventExtension
>
> WAIT_EVENT_EXTENSION "Extension" "Waiting in an extension."
> Extension "Extension" "Waiting in an extension."
> EXTENSION "Extension" "Waiting in an extension."
>
> If the behavior is unexpected, we need to change the current code.
> I have created a patch for the areas that I felt needed to be changed.
> - 0001-change-the-die-condition-in-generate-wait_event_type.patch
> (In addition to the above, "$continue = ",\n";" doesn't appear to be
> necessary.)

die "wait event names must start with 'WAIT_EVENT_'"
if ( $trimmedwaiteventname eq $waiteventenumname
- && $waiteventenumname !~ /^LWLock/
- && $waiteventenumname !~ /^Lock/);
- $continue = ",\n";
+ && $waitclassname !~ /^WaitEventLWLock$/
+ && $waitclassname !~ /^WaitEventLock$/);

Indeed, this looks wrong as-is. $waiteventenumname refers to the
names of the enum elements, so we could just apply a filter based on
the class names in full. The second check in for the generation of
the c/h files uses the class names.
--
Michael