createuser --memeber and PG 16

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: createuser --memeber and PG 16
Date: 2023-05-10 17:33:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In writing the PG 16 release notes, I came upon an oddity in our new
createuser syntax, specifically --role and --member. It turns out that
--role matches CREATE ROLE ... ROLE IN (and has prior to PG 16) while
the new --member option matches CREATE ROLE ... ROLE. The PG 16 feature
discussion thread is here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/69a9851035cf0f0477bcc5d742b031a3%40oss.nttdata.com

This seems like it will be forever confusing to people. I frankly don't
know why --role matching CREATE ROLE ... ROLE IN was not already
confusing in pre-PG 16. Any new ideas for improvement?

At a minium I would like to apply the attached doc patch to PG 16 to
improve awkward wording in CREATE ROLE and createuser.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Embrace your flaws. They make you human, rather than perfect,
which you will never be.

Attachment Content-Type Size
role.diff text/x-diff 4.0 KB