Re: createuser --memeber and PG 16

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: createuser --memeber and PG 16
Date: 2023-05-11 12:21:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 10 May 2023, at 19:33, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> I frankly don't
> know why --role matching CREATE ROLE ... ROLE IN was not already
> confusing in pre-PG 16. Any new ideas for improvement?

IIRC there were a number of ideas presented in that thread but backwards
compatibility with --role already "taken" made it complicated, so --role and
--member were the least bad options.

> At a minium I would like to apply the attached doc patch to PG 16 to
> improve awkward wording in CREATE ROLE and createuser.

No objection.

+ role. (This in effect makes the new role a <quote>group</quote>.)
While not introduced here, isn't the latter part interesting enough to warrant
not being inside parenthesis?

--
Daniel Gustafsson