Re: Remove io prefix from pg_stat_io columns

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Remove io prefix from pg_stat_io columns
Date: 2023-04-20 01:13:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 08:50:13PM -0400, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> I thought about changing parameter and local variable names to remove
> the prefix, but in the original discussion folks seemed to think it made
> sense to leave the "C level" references with an "io" prefix. I think we
> could change many of them, but some of them may be required for clarity.

I agree with the feeling of not touching the internal variables. It
makes them easier to grep, and it seems that these are mostly on lines
where there is little context about what they refer to..

Perhaps others have comments or objections, so let's wait a bit, but
I'd be OK to apply this one myself, with a catversion bump. (Happy to
help.)
--
Michael