Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me, shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Rachel Heaton <rachelmheaton(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump
Date: 2023-04-12 01:07:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 07:41:11PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Maybe I would write it as: "if zlib is unavailable, default to no
> compression". But I think that's best done in the leading comment, and
> not inside an empty preprocessor #else.
>
> I was hoping Michael would comment on this.

(Sorry for the late reply, somewhat missed that.)

> The placement and phrasing of the comment makes no sense to me.

Yes, this comment gives no value as it stands. I would be tempted to
follow the suggestion to group the whole code block in a single ifdef,
including the check, and remove this comment. Like the attached
perhaps?
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgdump-comment.patch text/x-diff 716 bytes