Re: Fix fseek() detection of unseekable files on WIN32

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix fseek() detection of unseekable files on WIN32
Date: 2023-04-11 05:43:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 07:06:22AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Not sure about this one. I have considered it and dirmod.c includes
> also bits for cygwin, while being aimed for higher-level routines like
> rename(), unlink() or symlink(). This patch is only for WIN32, and
> aimed for common parts in win32*.c code, so a separate file seemed a
> bit cleaner to me at the end.

After going through the installation of a Windows setup with meson and
ninja under VS, I have checked that this is working correctly by
myself, so I am going to apply that. One of the tests I have done
involved feeding a dump of the regression data through a pipe to
pg_restore, and the whole was able to work fine, while head broke when
using a pipe.

Digressing a bit, while I don't forget..

Spoiler 1: I don't think that recommending ActivePerl in the
documentation is a good idea these days. They do not provide anymore
a standalone installer that deploys the binaries you can use, and
they've made it really difficult to even access a "perl" command as it
has become necessary to use an extra command "state activate
--default" to link with a project registered in their stuff, meaning a
connection to their project. Once this command is launched, the
terminal links to a cached state in AppData. This is very unfriendly.
In comparison, relying on StrawberryPerl and Chocolatey feels like a
breeze..

Spoiler 2: mingw.org seems to be dead, and we have two links in the
docs referring to it.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-fix-fseek-detection-of-unseekable-files-for-WIN32.patch text/x-diff 8.5 KB