Re: Commitfest 2023-03 starting tomorrow!

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "Gregory Stark (as CFM)" <stark(dot)cfm(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commitfest 2023-03 starting tomorrow!
Date: 2023-03-24 01:24:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 04:41:39PM -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> * Move backup-related code to xlogbackup.c/.h
> - It looks like neither Alvaro Herrera nor Michael Paquier are
> particularly convinced this is an improvement and nobody has put more
> time in this since last October. I'm inclined to mark this Rejected?

Agreed.

>> * Check consistency of GUC defaults between .sample.conf and pg_settings.boot_val
> - It looks like this was pretty active until last October and might
> have been ready to apply at least partially? But no further work or
> review has happened since.

FWIW, I don't find much appealing the addition of two GUC flags for
only the sole purpose of that, particularly as we get a stronger
dependency between GUCs that can be switched dynamically at
initialization and at compile-time.

>> * Non-replayable WAL records through overflows and >MaxAllocSize lengths
>
> - Andres says it's a bug fix

It is a bug fix. Something I would dare backpatch? Perhaps not. The
hardcoded limit of MaxXLogRecordSize makes me feel a bit
uncomfortable, though perhaps we could live with that.
--
Michael