Re: Reconcile stats in find_tabstat_entry() and get rid of PgStat_BackendFunctionEntry

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reconcile stats in find_tabstat_entry() and get rid of PgStat_BackendFunctionEntry
Date: 2023-03-25 02:56:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 02:13:45PM +0100, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
> On 3/16/23 12:46 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>> I don't think we should pay any particular attention to those 2 ones
>>> as anyway nothing prevent the 7 others to be called outside of the
>>> pg_stat_xact_all_tables view.
>>
>> I am not quite sure, TBH. Did you look at the difference with a long
>> chain of subtrans, like savepoints? The ODBC driver "loves" producing
>> a lot of savepoints, for example.
>
> No, I did not measure the impact.

I have been thinking again about this particular point, and I would be
fine with an additional boolean flag to compute the subtrans data in
the global counter when only necessary. This would not make the
macros for the stat functions that much more complicated, while being
sure that we don't do unnecessary computations when we know that we
don't need them..
--
Michael