Re: Raising the SCRAM iteration count

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Raising the SCRAM iteration count
Date: 2023-03-08 07:48:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 07, 2023 at 02:03:05PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> On 7 Mar 2023, at 09:26, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
>> Right, what I meant was: can a pg_regress sql/expected test drive a psql
>> interactive prompt? Your comments suggested using password.sql so I was
>> curious if I was missing a neat trick for doing this.

Yes, I meant to rely just on password.sql to do that. I think that I
see your point now.. You are worried that the SET command changing a
GUC to-be-reported would not affect the client before \password is
done. That could be possible, I guess. ReportChangedGUCOptions() is
called before ReadyForQuery() that would tell psql that the backend is
ready to receive the next query. A trick would be to stick an extra
dummy query between the SET and \password in password.sql?

> Running interactive tests against psql adds a fair bit of complexity and isn't
> all that pleasing on the eye, but it can be cleaned up and refactored when
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/42/4228/ is committed.

I have not looked at that, so no idea.
--
Michael