Re: CI and test improvements

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Anastasia Lubennikova <lubennikovaav(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: CI and test improvements
Date: 2023-03-14 04:56:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 07:39:52AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 03.02.23 15:26, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > rebased, and re-including a patch to show code coverage of changed
> > files.
>
> This constant flow of patches under one subject doesn't lend itself well to
> the commit fest model of trying to finish things up.
> I can't quite tell which of these patches are ready and agreed upon,
> and which ones are work in progress or experimental.

I'm soliticing feedback on those patches that I've sent recently - I've
elided patches if they have some unresolved issue.

I'm not aware of any loose ends other than what's updated here:

- cirrus: code coverage

I changed this to also run an "initial" coverage report before running
tests. It's not clear to me what effect that has, though...

Andres seems to think it's a problem that this shows coverage only for
files that were actually changed. But that's what's intended; it's
sufficient to see if new code is being hit by tests. It would be slow
and take a lot of extra space to upload a coverage report for every
patch, every day. It might be nice for cfbot to show how test coverage
changed in the affected files: -15% / +25%.

- cirrus: upload changed html docs as artifacts

Fixed an "only_if" line so cfbot will run the "warnings" task.

Maybe this path is waiting on Andres' patch to "move CompilerWarnings to
meson" ?

> > 7e09035f588 WIP: ci/meson: allow showing only failed tests ..
>
> I'm not sure I like this one. I sometimes look up the logs of non-failed
> tests to compare them with failed tests, to get context to could lead to
> failures. Maybe we can make this behavior adjustable. But I've not been
> bothered by the current behavior.

It's adjustable by un/setting the environment variable.

I'm surprised to hear that anyone using cirrusci (with or without cfbot)
wouldn't prefer the behavior this patch implements. It's annoying to
search find the logs for the (typically exactly one) failing test in
cirrus' directory of 200some test artifacts. We're also uploading a lot
of logs for every failure. (But I suppose this might break cfbot's new
client side parsing of things like build logs...)

--
Justin

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-cirrus-windows-add-compiler_warnings_script.patch text/x-diff 2.2 KB
0002-cirrus-freebsd-run-with-more-CPUs-RAM-and-do-not-rep.patch text/x-diff 3.4 KB
0003-cirrus-freebsd-define-ENFORCE_REGRESSION_TEST_NAME_R.patch text/x-diff 1.3 KB
0004-pg_upgrade-tap-test-exercise-link-and-clone.patch text/x-diff 2.8 KB
0005-WIP-ci-meson-allow-showing-only-failed-tests.patch text/x-diff 5.8 KB
0006-cirrus-code-coverage.patch text/x-diff 6.4 KB
0007-cirrus-upload-changed-html-docs-as-artifacts.patch text/x-diff 3.7 KB
0008-html-index-file.patch text/x-diff 2.7 KB