Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes
Date: 2022-08-31 20:03:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 11:38:33AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 30.08.22 22:42, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Good question --- the full text is:
> >
> > <listitem>
> > <para>
> > Record and check the collation of each <link
> > linkend="sql-createdatabase">database</link> (Peter Eisentraut)
> > </para>
> >
> > <para>
> > This is designed to detect collation
> > mismatches to avoid data corruption. Function
> > <function>pg_database_collation_actual_version()</function>
> > reports the underlying operating system collation version, and
> > <command>ALTER DATABASE ... REFRESH</command> sets the database
> > to match the operating system collation version. DETAILS?
> > </para>
> > </listitem>
> >
> > I just can't figure out what the user needs to understand about this,
> > and I understand very little of it.
>
> We already had this feature for (schema-level) collations, now we have it on
> the level of the database collation.

Okay, I figured out the interplay between OS collation version support,
collation libraries, and collation levels. Here is an updated patch for
the release notes.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Indecision is a decision. Inaction is an action. Mark Batterson

Attachment Content-Type Size
REL_15_collation.diff text/x-diff 1.7 KB