Re: Trivial doc patch

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: rir <rirans(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trivial doc patch
Date: 2022-08-19 14:42:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 01:11:49PM -0400, rir wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 11:14:46AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 01:13:14PM -0400, rir wrote:
> > > This removes the outer square brackets in the create_database.sgml
> > > file's synopsis. In the command sysopses, this is the only case
> > > where an optional group contains only optional groups.
> > >
> > > CREATE DATABASE <replaceable class="parameter">name</replaceable>
> > > - [ [ WITH ] [ OWNER [=] <replaceable class="parameter">user_name</replaceable> ]
> > > + [ WITH ] [ OWNER [=] <replaceable class="parameter">user_name</replaceable> ]
> > > [...]
> > > - [ IS_TEMPLATE [=] <replaceable class="parameter">istemplate</replaceable> ] ]
> > > + [ IS_TEMPLATE [=] <replaceable class="parameter">istemplate</replaceable> ]
> > > </synopsis>
> > > </refsynopsisdiv>
> >
> > You are not wrong, and the existing doc is not wrong either. I tend
> > to prefer the existing style, though, as it insists on the options
> > as being a single group, with or without the keyword WITH.
>
> Michael, perhaps I mistake you; it seems you would like it better with
> the extra '[' before OWNER. That would more accurately point up
>
> CREATE DATABASE name WITH;
>
> Either way, my argument would have the basis.
>
> In what sense are the options a single group? That they all might
> follow the 'WITH' is expressed without the duplicated brackets.
> That the extra braces promote readability relies on an assumption or
> knowledge of the command.
>
> Given that 'optional, optional' has no independent meaning from
> 'optional'; it requires one to scan the entire set looking for
> the non-optional embedded in the option. So no gain.

I originally had the same reaction Michael Paquier did, that having one
big optional block is nice, but seeing that 'CREATE DATABASE name WITH'
actually works, I can see the point in having our syntax be accurate,
and removing the outer optional brackets now does seem like an
improvement to me.

Attached is the proposed change.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Indecision is a decision. Inaction is an action. Mark Batterson

Attachment Content-Type Size
database.diff text/x-diff 1.3 KB