Re: doc: Clarify Routines and Extension Membership

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: Clarify Routines and Extension Membership
Date: 2022-07-18 20:40:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 06:27:17PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> Thank you and apologies for being quiet here and on a few of the other threads.
> I've been on vacation and flagged as ToDo some of the non-simple feedback items
> that have come this way.

No need to worry --- we will incorporate your suggestions whenever you
can supply them. I know you waited months for these to be addressed.

> The change to restrict and description in drop extension needs to be fixed up
> (the other pages look good).
>
> "This option prevents the specified extensions from being dropped if there
> exists non-extension-member objects that depends on any the extensions. This is
> the default."
>
> At minimum: "...that depend on any of the extensions."

Agreed.

> I did just now confirm that if any of the named extensions failed to be dropped
> the entire command fails.  There is no partial success mode.
>
> I'd like to avoid non-extension-member, and one of the main points is that the
> routine dependency is member-like, not actual membership.  Hence the separate
> wording.

Okay.

> I thus propose to replace the drop extension / restrict paragraph and replace
> it with the following:
>
> "This option prevents the specified extensions from being dropped if other
> objects - besides these extensions, their members, and their explicitly
> dependent routines - depend on them.  This is the default."

Good.

> Also, I'm thinking to change, on the same page (description):
>
> "Dropping an extension causes its component objects,"
>
> to be:
>
> "Dropping an extension causes its member objects,"
>
> I'm not sure why I originally chose component over member...

All done, in the attached patch.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Indecision is a decision. Inaction is an action. Mark Batterson

Attachment Content-Type Size
extension.diff text/x-diff 1.3 KB