Re: doc: Clarify Savepoint Behavior

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: Clarify Savepoint Behavior
Date: 2022-07-09 16:59:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 09:14:56AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> So leave the "release" behavior implied from the rollback behavior?
>
> On the whole I'm slightly in favor of your proposed wording (mostly due to the
> better fitting of the ROLLBACK command, though at the omission of RELEASE...)
> but are you seeing anything beyond personal style as to why you feel one is
> better than the other?  Is there some existing wording in the docs that I
> should be conforming to here?

I have developed the attached patch based on the discussion here. I
tried to simplify the language and example to clarify the intent.

I was confused why the first part of the patch added a mention of
releasing savepoints to the ROLLBACK TO manual page --- I have removed
that and improved the text in RELEASE SAVEPOINT.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Indecision is a decision. Inaction is an action. Mark Batterson

Attachment Content-Type Size
savepoint.diff text/x-diff 2.1 KB