Re: Improve TAP tests of pg_upgrade for cross-version tests

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improve TAP tests of pg_upgrade for cross-version tests
Date: 2022-06-13 07:51:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 05:58:54PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 2022-06-12 Su 10:14, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> I tried in fb16d2c658 to avoid littering the mainline code with
>> version-specific tests, and put that in the methods in the subclasses
>> that override the mainline functions.

Except that manipulating the diffs of pg_upgrade is not something that
needs to be internal to the subclasses where we set up the nodes :)

> I think I must have been insufficiently caffeinated when I wrote this,
> because clearly I was not reading correctly.
>
> I have had another look and the patch looks fine, although I haven't
> tested it.

I have a question about the tests done in the buildfarm though. Do
the dumps from the older versions drop some of the objects that cause
the diffs in the dumps? At which extent is that a dump from
installcheck?
--
Michael