Re: Bump MIN_WINNT to 0x0600 (Vista) as minimal runtime in 16~

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bump MIN_WINNT to 0x0600 (Vista) as minimal runtime in 16~
Date: 2022-06-09 05:47:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 04:55:45PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> The Cygwin stuff in installation.sgml also mentions NT, 2000, XP, but
> it's not clear from the phrasing if it meant "and later" or "and
> earlier", so I'm not sure if it needs adjusting or removing...

Right. We could just remove the entire mention to "NT, 2000 or XP"
instead? There would be no loss in clarity IMO.

> I think we can drop mention of Itanium (RIP): the ancient versions of
> Windows that could run on that arch are desupported with your patch.
> It might be more relevant to say that we can't yet run on ARM, and
> Windows 11 is untested by us, but let's fix those problems instead of
> documenting them :-)

Okay to remove the Itanium part for me.

> Is the mention of "64-Bit" in that title sounds a little anachronistic
> to me (isn't that the norm now?) but I'm not sure what to suggest.

Not sure. I think that I would leave this part alone for now.

> There are more mentions of older Windows releases near the compiler
> stuff but perhaps your MSVC version vacuuming work will take care of
> those.

Yes, I have a few changes like the one in main.c for _M_AMD64. Are
you referring to something else?
--
Michael