Re: Logging query parmeters in auto_explain

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logging query parmeters in auto_explain
Date: 2022-06-07 07:53:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 09:33:20PM +0100, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
> Here's a patch that adds a corresponding
> auto_explain.log_parameter_max_length config setting, which controls the
> "Query Parameters" node in the logged plan. Just like in core, the
> default is -1, which logs the parameters in full, and 0 disables
> parameter logging, while any other value truncates each parameter to
> that many bytes.

With a behavior similar to the in-core log_parameter_max_length, this
looks rather sane to me. This is consistent with the assumptions of
errdetail_params().

+$node->append_conf('postgresql.conf', "auto_explain.log_parameter_max_length = -1");
Nit. You don't need this change in the TAP test, as this is the
default value to log everything.
--
Michael