Status of cluster file encryption

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Status of cluster file encryption
Date: 2022-05-26 21:08:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here is a status report of where I think we are with cluster file
encryption.

The last patch for temporary file I/O centralization is from April 20:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/24759.1650466826@antos

Once that is done I can modify my patch set to switch from CTR to XTS
mode and hook into the temporary file I/O centralization code. After
that, we need to work on the WAL encryption code and tool support.
Replication must also be handled.

I think once the temporary file I/O centralization is done we can
consider putting some of my patch set into the tree once PG 16 opens for
development --- the first step might be the key management feature.

I have updated my cluster file encryption presentation to show diagrams
of the architecture:

https://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/cfe.pdf

Hopefully that helps.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Indecision is a decision. Inaction is an action. Mark Batterson