Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes
Date: 2022-05-11 14:41:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 04:02:31PM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 12:44 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > I have completed the first draft of the PG 15 release notes
> The commit is intended to only change the behavior of RI triggers,
> while leaving user-defined triggers firing as before. I think it
> might be a good idea to be specific by wording this, maybe as follows?
>
> Improve the firing of foreign key triggers during cross-partition
> updates of partitioned tables (Amit Langote)
>
> Previously, such updates fired delete triggers on the source partition
> and insert triggers on the target partition, whereas PostgreSQL will
> now fire update triggers on the partitioned table mentioned in the
> query, which makes the behavior of foreign keys pointing into that
> table more consistent. Note that other user-defined triggers are
> fired as they were before.

Yes, this is what I needed to know. The updated text is:

<!--
Author: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
2022-03-20 [ba9a7e392] Enforce foreign key correctly during cross-partition upd
-->

<listitem>
<para>
Improve foreign key behavior of updates on partitioned tables
that move rows between partitions (Amit Langote)
</para>

<para>
Previously, such updates ran delete actions on the source partition
and insert actions on the target partition. PostgreSQL will now
run update actions on the partition root.
</para>
</listitem>

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Indecision is a decision. Inaction is an action. Mark Batterson