Re: Add parameter jit_warn_above_fraction

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add parameter jit_warn_above_fraction
Date: 2022-04-09 04:20:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 09:39:18AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:

> * Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> > The addition to pg_stat_statements I pushed a short while ago would help
> > with that. But I think having a warning like this would also be useful. As
> > a stop-gap measure, yes, but we really don't know when we will have an
> > improved costing model for it. I hope you're right and that we can have it
> > by 16, and then I will definitely advocate for removing the warning again
> > if it works.
>
> Having this in pg_stat_statements is certainly helpful but having a
> warning also is. I don't think we have to address this in only one way.
> A lot faster to flip this guc and then look in the logs on a busy system
> than to install pg_stat_statements, restart the cluster once you get
> permission to do so, and then query it.

+1, especially if you otherwise don't really need or want to have
pg_stat_statements enabled, as it's far from being free. Sure you could enable
it by default with pg_stat_statements.track = none, but that seems a lot more
troublesome than just dynamically enabling a GUC, possibly for a short time
and/or for a specific database/role.