Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me
Cc: Rachel Heaton <rachelmheaton(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump
Date: 2022-03-26 05:57:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 11:43:17PM +0000, gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me wrote:
> On Saturday, March 26th, 2022 at 12:13 AM, Rachel Heaton <rachelmheaton(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Here is an updated patchset from Georgios, with minor assistance from myself.
>> The comments above should be addressed, but please let us know if
>
> A small amendment to the above statement. This patchset does not include the
> refactoring of compress_io suggested by Mr Paquier in the same thread, as it is
> missing documentation. An updated version will be sent to include those changes
> on the next commitfest.

The refactoring using callbacks would make the code much cleaner IMO
in the long term, with zstd waiting in the queue. Now, I see some
pieces of the patch set that could be merged now without waiting for
the development cycle of 16 to begin, as of 0001 to add more tests and
0002.

I have a question about 0002, actually. What has led you to the
conclusion that this code is dead and could be removed?
--
Michael