Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, "wangsh(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangsh(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init
Date: 2022-03-25 05:08:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 11:11:46AM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> As an example, here's a POC for a new shmem_request_hook hook after _PG_init().
> With it I could easily fix pg_wait_sampling shmem allocation (and checked that
> it's indeed requesting the correct size).

Are you sure that the end of a release cycle is the good moment to
begin designing new hooks? Anything added is something we are going
to need supporting moving forward. My brain is telling me that we
ought to revisit the business with GetMaxBackends() properly instead,
and perhaps revert that.

This solution makes me uneasy from the start (already stated
upthread), because it is not a solution to the original problem, just
a safeguard that handles one small-ish portion of the whole parameter
calculation cycle.
--
Michael