Re: add checkpoint stats of snapshot and mapping files of pg_logical dir

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Cary Huang <cary(dot)huang(at)highgo(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add checkpoint stats of snapshot and mapping files of pg_logical dir
Date: 2022-03-14 05:15:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 02:58:58PM -0700, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 01:54:10PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
>> Another thing I added in v2 is to not emit snapshot and mapping files
>> stats in case of restartpoint as logical decoding isn't supported on
>> standbys, so it doesn't make sense to emit the stats there and cause
>> server log to grow unnecessarily. Having said that, I added a note
>> there to change it whenever logical decoding on standbys is supported.
>
> I think we actually do want to include this information for restartpoints
> since some files might be left over from the snapshot that was used to
> create the standby. Also, presumably these functions could do some work
> during recovery on a primary.

Yes, I would agree that consistency makes sense here, and it is not
complicated to add the code to support this code path anyway. There
is a risk that folks working on logical decoding on standbys overse
this code path, instead.

> Another problem I see is that this patch depends on the return value of the
> lstat() calls that we are trying to remove in 0001 from another thread [0].
> I think the size of the removed/sync'd files is somewhat useful for
> understanding disk space usage, but I suspect the time spent performing
> these tasks is more closely related to the number of files. Do you think
> reporting the sizes is worth the extra system call?

We are not talking about files that are large either, are we?

Another thing I am a bit annoyed with in this patch is the fact that
the size of the ereport() call is doubled. The LOG currently
generated is already bloated, and this does not arrange things.
--
Michael