Re: shared_preload_libraries = 'pg_stat_statements' failing with installcheck (compute_query_id = auto)

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: shared_preload_libraries = 'pg_stat_statements' failing with installcheck (compute_query_id = auto)
Date: 2022-02-22 02:04:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 05:38:56PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 05:22:36PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> So, I have been looking at this problem, and I don't see a problem in
>> doing something like the attached, where we add a "regress" mode to
>> compute_query_id that is a synonym of "auto". Or, in short, we have
>> the default of letting a module decide if a query ID can be computed
>> or not, at the exception that we hide its result in EXPLAIN outputs.
>>
>> Julien, what do you think?
>
> I don't see any problem with that patch.

Okay, thanks. I have worked on that today and applied the patch down
to 14, but without the change to enforce the parameter in the
databases created by pg_regress. Perhaps we should do that in the
long-term, but it is also possible to pass down the option to
PGOPTIONS via command line as compute_query_id is a SUSET or just set
it in postgresql.conf, and being able to do so is enough to address
all the cases I have seen and/or could think about.
--
Michael