Re: Refactoring of compression options in pg_basebackup

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Georgios Kokolatos <gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Refactoring of compression options in pg_basebackup
Date: 2022-01-22 05:46:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 09:57:41AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> Thanks. One thing I just noticed is that the enum we're using here is
> called WalCompressionMethod. But we're not compressing WAL. We're
> compressing tarfiles of the data directory.

Also, having this enum in walmethods.h is perhaps not the best place
either, even more if you plan to use that in pg_basebackup for the
server-side compression. One idea is to rename this enum to
DataCompressionMethod, moving it into a new header, like common.h as
of the attached.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Move-declaration-in-new-header-for-pg_basebackup.patch text/x-diff 7.3 KB