Re: Document atthasmissing default optimization avoids verification table scan

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Document atthasmissing default optimization avoids verification table scan
Date: 2022-01-22 05:35:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 5:14 PM James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > Really? That's horrid, because that's directly useful advice.
>
> Remedied, but rewritten a bit to better fit with the new style/goal of
> that tip).
>
> Version 3 is attached.

Coming back to this after a respite I think the tip needs to be moved just
like everything else. For much the same reason (though this may only be a
personal bias), I know what SQL Commands do the various things that DDL
encompasses (especially the basics like adding a column) and so the DDL
section is really just a tutorial-like chapter that I will generally forget
about because I will go straight to the official source which is the SQL
Command Reference. My future self would want the tip to show up there. If
we put the tip after the existing paragraph that starts: "Adding a column
with a volatile DEFAULT or changing the type of an existing column..." the
need to specify an example function in the tip goes away - though maybe it
should be moved to the notes paragraph instead: "with a volatile DEFAULT
(e.g., clock_timestamp()) or changing the type of an existing column..."

David J.