Re: MultiXact\SLRU buffers configuration

From: Shawn Debnath <sdn(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gilles Darold <gilles(at)darold(dot)net>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: MultiXact\SLRU buffers configuration
Date: 2022-01-21 00:19:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 09:21:24PM +0500, Andrey Borodin wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> > 20 янв. 2022 г., в 20:44, Shawn Debnath <sdn(at)amazon(dot)com> написал(а):
> Can you please also test 2nd patch against a large multixact SLRUs?
> 2nd patch is not intended to do make thing better on default buffer sizes. It must save the perfromance in case of really huge SLRU buffers.

Test was performed on 128/256 for multixact offset/members cache as
stated in my previous email. Sure I can test it for higher values - but
what's a real world value that would make sense? We have been using this
configuration successfully for a few of our customers that ran into
MultiXact contention.

--
Shawn Debnath
Amazon Web Services (AWS)