Re: GUC flags

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, bruce(at)momjian(dot)us, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: GUC flags
Date: 2022-01-05 05:17:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 09:06:48PM -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> I think pg_get_guc_flags() may be best, but I'm interested to hear other
> opinions.

My opinion on this matter is rather close to what you have here with
handling things through one extra attribute. But I don't see the
point of using an extra function where users would need to do a manual
mapping of the flag bits back to a a text representation of them. So
I would suggest to just add one text[] to pg_show_all_settings, with
values being the bit names themselves, without the prefix "GUC_", for
the ones we care most about. Sticking with one column for each one
would require a catversion bump all the time, which could be
cumbersome in the long run.
--
Michael