Re: Add checkpoint and redo LSN to LogCheckpointEnd log message

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add checkpoint and redo LSN to LogCheckpointEnd log message
Date: 2021-12-24 12:11:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 02:51:34PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> I thougt about something like the following, but your proposal may be
> clearer.

+ "LSN=%X/%X, REDO LSN=%X/%X",
This could be rather confusing for the average user, even if I agree
that this is some information that only an advanced user could
understand. Could it be possible to define those fields in a more
deterministic way? For one, it is hard to understand the relationship
between both fields without looking at the code, particulary if both
share the same value. It is at least rather.. Well, mostly, easy to
guess what each other field means in this context, which is not the
case of what you are proposing here. One idea could be use also
"start point" for REDO, for example.
--
Michael