Addition of --no-sync to pg_upgrade for test speedup

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Addition of --no-sync to pg_upgrade for test speedup
Date: 2021-12-16 06:50:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

As per $subject, avoiding the flush of the new cluster's data
directory shortens a bint the runtime of the test. In some of my slow
VMs, aka Windows, this shaves a couple of seconds even if the bulk of
the time is still spent on the main regression test suite.

In pg_upgrade, we let the flush happen with initdb --sync-only, based
on the binary path of the new cluster, so I think that we are not
going to miss any test coverage by skipping that.

Thoughts or opinions?
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_upgrade-nosync.patch text/x-diff 5.7 KB