Re: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test - take three - remastered set

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test - take three - remastered set
Date: 2021-12-14 05:31:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 06:08:24PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> Seems like we might get away with making make -C contrib/pg_upgrade check and
> vcregress.pl upgradecheck do nothing?

You mean #contrib/#src/bin/# here, right? I don't think that we have
any need to have "make -C" do nothing. For vcregress.pl, we should
IMO just remove upgradecheck.

> For the common case of not testing cross-version stuff, pg_upgrade's tests
> would just be invoked via run_build.pl:run_bin_tests(). And TestUpgrade.pm
> should be fine with a test doing nothing.

Perhaps. I am not sure what's the best picture here, TBH. One
difference between the core stuff and the buldfarm is that in the case
of the buildfarm, we upgrade from a version that has not only the main
regression database, but everything from the contrib/ modules.

Speaking of which, I am going to send a patch for the buildfarm to be
able to use the SQL file from 0df9641, so as committers gain a bit
more control on the cross-version upgrade tests run by the buildfarm,
using the in-core code a maximum.
--
Michael