Re: CLUSTER on partitioned index

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, 李杰(慎追) <adger(dot)lj(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, 曾文旌(义从) <wenjing(dot)zwj(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Subject: Re: CLUSTER on partitioned index
Date: 2021-12-03 01:16:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 06:56:26PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 08:18:41PM +0200, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
>> Note: The following review is based on the assumption that this v11
>> revision was meant to contain only one patch. I put this up as a note,
>> because it seemed quite limited when compared to earlier versions of
>> the patchset.
>
> Alvaro's critique was that the patchset was too complicated for what was
> claimed to be a marginal feature. My response was to rearrange the patchset to
> its minimal form, supporting CLUSTER without marking the index as clustered.
>
> My goal is to present a minimal patch and avoid any nonessential complexity.

FWIW, my opinion on the matter is similar to Alvaro's, and an extra
read of the patch gives me the same impression. Let's see if others
have an opinion on the matter.

> Thanks for looking. I'm going to see about updating comments based on
> corresponding parts of vacuum and on this message itself.

It doesn't feel right to just discard the patch at this stage, and it
needs an update, so I have moved it to the next CF for now, waiting on
author. If this does not really move on, my suggestion is to discard
the patch at the end of next CF, aka 2022-01.
--
Michael