Re: GUC flags

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUC flags
Date: 2021-12-01 11:58:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 01:59:05AM -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 03:36:45PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> - gettext_noop("Waits N seconds on connection startup before authentication."),
>> + gettext_noop("Sets the amount of seconds to wait on connection "
>> + "startup before authentication."),
>
> same

Thanks. This makes things more consistent.

>> {
>> {"checkpoint_warning", PGC_SIGHUP, WAL_CHECKPOINTS,
>> - gettext_noop("Enables warnings if checkpoint segments are filled more "
>> - "frequently than this."),
>> + gettext_noop("Sets the maximum time before warning if checkpoints "
>> + "triggered by WAL volume happen too frequently."),
>> gettext_noop("Write a message to the server log if checkpoints "
>> - "caused by the filling of checkpoint segment files happens more "
>> + "caused by the filling of WAL segment files happens more "
>
> It should say "happen" , since it's referring to "checkpoints".
> That was a pre-existing issue.

Indeed.

>> {"log_parameter_max_length", PGC_SUSET, LOGGING_WHAT,
>> - gettext_noop("When logging statements, limit logged parameter values to first N bytes."),
>> + gettext_noop("Sets the maximum amount of data logged for bind "
>> + "parameter values when logging statements."),
>
> I think this one should actually say "in bytes" or at least say "maximum
> length". It seems unlikely that someone is going to specify this in other
> units, and it's confusing to everyone else to refer to "amount of data" instead
> of "length in bytes".

Okay. Do you like the updated version attached?

>> - gettext_noop("Automatic log file rotation will occur after N minutes."),
>> + gettext_noop("Sets the maximum amount of time to wait before "
>> + "forcing log file rotation."),
>
> Should it say "maximum" ? Does that mean anything ?

To be consistent with the rest of your suggestions, we could use here:
"Sets the amount of time to wait before forcing log file rotation"

Thanks,
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
guc-descriptions-v2.patch text/x-diff 3.6 KB