Re: pg_replslotdata - a tool for displaying replication slot information

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_replslotdata - a tool for displaying replication slot information
Date: 2021-12-06 07:10:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 02, 2021 at 08:32:08AM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 4:22 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>>> I don't have any other compelling use- cases at the moment, but I will say
>>> that it is typically nice from an administrative standpoint to be able to
>>> inspect things like this without logging into a running server.
>>
>> Weighed against the cost of maintaining (including documentation) a separate
>> tool this doesn't seem sufficient reason.
>
> IMHO, this shouldn't be a reason to not get something useful (useful
> IMO and few others in this thread) into the core. The maintenance of
> the tools generally is low compared to the core server features once
> they get reviewed and committed.

Well, a bit less maintenance is always better than more maintenance.
An extra cost that you may be missing is related to the translation of
the documentation, as well as the translation of any new strings this
would require. FWIW, I don't directly see a use for this tool that
could not be solved with an online server.
--
Michael