Failure with 004_logrotate in prairiedog

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Failure with 004_logrotate in prairiedog
Date: 2021-07-18 03:32:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

prairiedog has failed in a way that seems a bit obscure to me:
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=prairiedog&dt=2021-07-18%2000%3A23%3A29

Here are the details of the failure:
server signaled to rotate log file
could not read
"/Users/buildfarm/bf-data/HEAD/pgsql.build/src/bin/pg_ctl/tmp_check/t_004_logrotate_primary_data/pgdata/current_logfiles":
No such file or directory at t/004_logrotate.pl line 78
### Stopping node "primary" using mode immediate

update_metainfo_datafile() creates a temporary file renamed to
current_logfiles with rename(). It should be atomic, though this
error points out that this is not the case? The previous steps of
this test ensure that current_logfiles should exist.

We could use some eval blocks in this area, but a non-atomic rename()
would cause problems in more areas. Thoughts?
--
Michael