Re: pgbench logging broken by time logic changes

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Gregory Smith <gregsmithpgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, david(dot)christensen(at)crunchydata(dot)com
Subject: Re: pgbench logging broken by time logic changes
Date: 2021-06-18 00:30:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 12:49:42AM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> I'm on the fence TBH, I can see that it's really small things and it
> seems we have the patches, but it's late, late enough that
> benchmarking gurus are showing up to benchmark with it for real, and
> it's not great to be getting in the way of that with what is mostly
> refactoring work, so I don't think it would be a bad thing if we
> agreed to try again in 15. (A number of arguments for and against
> moving pgbench out of the postgresql source tree and release cycle
> occur to me, but I guess that's a topic for another thread.)

I may be missing something of course, but I don't see any strong
reason why we need to do a revert here if we have patches to discuss
first.

>> Note that Michaël is having a look at fixing pgbench logging issues.
>
> Yeah I've been catching up with these threads.

Thomas, do you want me to look more at this issue? I don't feel
comfortable with the idea of doing anything if you are planning to
look at this thread and you are the owner here, so that should be your
call.

From what I can see, we have the same area getting patched with
patches across two threads, so it seems better to give up the other
thread and just focus on the discussion here, where v7 has been sent:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210617175542.ad6b9b82926d8469e8520324@sraoss.co.jp
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAF7igB1r6wRfSCEAB-iZBKxkowWY6%2BdFF2jObSdd9%2BiVK%2BvHJg%40mail.gmail.com
--
Michael