Re: Two patches to speed up pg_rewind.

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Paul Guo <guopa(at)vmware(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two patches to speed up pg_rewind.
Date: 2021-06-17 07:18:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 02, 2021 at 05:02:10PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2021 at 06:20:30PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > The main thing I noticed was that Linux < 5.3 can fail with EXDEV if
> > you cross a filesystem boundary, is that something we need to worry
> > about there?
>
> Hmm. Good point. That may justify having a switch to control that.

Paul, the patch set still needs some work, so I am switching it as
waiting on author. I am pretty sure that we had better have a
fallback implementation of copy_file_range() in src/port/, and that we
are going to need an extra switch in pg_rewind to allow users to
bypass copy_file_range()/EXDEV if they do a local rewind operation
across different FSes with a kernel < 5.3.
--
Michael