Re: installcheck failure in indirect_toast with default_toast_compression = lz4

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: installcheck failure in indirect_toast with default_toast_compression = lz4
Date: 2021-06-05 01:41:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 04, 2021 at 08:28:59PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hmm. I'm not very clear on what that test is intending to test,
> but maybe it's dependent on pglz compression, in which case the
> right fix would be to force default_toast_compression = pglz
> for the duration of the test.

Support for external toast datums, as of 36820250, so that should be
independent on the compression method used, no? I was just sticking
some checks based on pg_column_compression() all over the test, and
all the values are correctly getting compressed and decompressed as
far as I can see.

I got to wonder whether this is not pointing at an actual issue, and
whether it may be better to not make this test rely only on pglz, but
I have not put much thoughts into it TBH.
--
Michael