installcheck failure in indirect_toast with default_toast_compression = lz4

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: installcheck failure in indirect_toast with default_toast_compression = lz4
Date: 2021-06-05 00:20:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

As said in $subject, installcheck fails once I set up a server with
default_toast_compression = lz4 in the test indirect_toast. Please
see the attached for the diffs.

The issue is that the ordering of the tuples returned by UPDATE
RETURNING is not completely stable. Perhaps we should just enforce
the order of those tuples by wrapping the DMLs into a CTE and use an
ORDER BY in the outer query.

Other ideas?
--
Michael